Press Releases
DOLE distributes more than P10-million SPES checks to more than 3,000 Kapampangan working youths

 

CITY OF SAN FERNANDO – Some 3,121 tertiary students from 20 municipalities of Pampanga, yesterday, concluded their youth employment stint under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES).
 
The SPES is a flagship youth-employment program of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) that empowers poor-but-deserving students pursue their education.
 
The DOLE Pampanga Field Office and Pampanga Provincial Government, through its Public Employment Service Office (PESO), facilitated the check distribution at the Bren Z. Guiao Convention Center, San Fernando City.
 
DOLE Regional Director Atty. Ana Dione reported to Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III that the beneficiaries received their SPES checks amounting to a total of P10,756,464.08.
 
“This amount represents government’s 40 percent share in salaries of our SPES-beneficiaries while the remaining 60 percent share was shouldered by the Provincial Government of Pampanga,” Dione explained, adding:
 
“Our beneficiaries were deployed in various local government units (LGUs) and worked for 20 to 28 days during November to December, last year. Through the SPES, not only were they able to save up for their tuition fees and other school needs, but more importantly, had the opportunity to learn and experience the real world of work.”
 
Pampanga Governor Lilia “Nanay” Pineda and Vice Governor Dennis “Delta” Pineda, along with some Provincial Board Members, led the distribution of checks to the beneficiaries.
 
DOLE Pampanga Field Office head Arlene Tolentino, Technical Support and Service Division for Employment and Welfare head Alejandro Inza Cruz, along with some DOLE personnel provided technical assistance.
 
Provincial PESO Manager Luningning Vergara, City of San Fernando PESO Manager Donny Sayre, and other PESO Managers from the province were also present to provide their assistance.
 
Guest of honor Davao City 1st District Representative Karlo Alexei Nograles provided insights on Republic Act 10917, otherwise known as the new amended SPES Law.
 
“We know the hardships of obtaining an education and that’s why we want to share with you the good news on the newly-improved SPES Law which, aside from catering to poor-but-deserving students, has already expanded its coverage to out-of-school youths and dependents of displaced or would-be displaced workers,” Nograles explained.  
 
The lawmaker, who was the primary author of the new SPES Law at the lower house, also cited major changes in the coverage of the program.
 
“We are happy to inform everyone that the new SPES Law has raised its age limit of qualified beneficiaries from 15 -25 years old to 15 – 30 years old, the employment period likewise was extended from 20 – 52 days to 20 – 78 days,” Nograles said, adding:  
 
“Students who are employed in activities related to their course may earn equivalent academic and practicum or on-the-job training credits. Finally, all SPES beneficiaries are now entitled to an insurance coverage under the Government Service Insurance System or GSIS for a period of one year.”
 
The SPES has been a great stepping stone for students yearning to finish their education and someday land decent jobs/careers says SPES beneficiary Prince Jonald Yutuc.
 
“Napakalaking bagay po ng SPES sa aking buhay dahil ito po ay naging daan para makapagpatuloy sa aking pag-aaral. Bukod po roon, nagkaroon ako ng karanasan sa pagtratrabaho sa lokal na pamahalaan kung saan na-hasa po ang aking kaalaman at kakayahan sa iba’t ibang klase ng gawain,” Yutuc said, adding:
 
“Lubos po akong nagpapasalamat sa DOLE at sa ating Panlalawigang Pamahalaan ng Pampanga sa pagkakataon na ipinagkaloob ninyo sa akin upang ako ay patuloy na makapag-aral at sa maikling panahon na lamang ay makakapagtapos rin sa aking napiling kurso.”
 
The 19-year old “SPES Baby” or a multiple SPES beneficiary is a 3rd year BS Biological Sciences student from the City College of San Fernando.
 
This year, the SPES implementation in Central Luzon will continue to provide youth employment opportunities and learning while earning for additional income in pursuing their education.
 
END/Jerry Borja

 

[Back]
[Print]
2018-02-20
ZEN ANGARA-CAMPITA
Welcome to the Official Homepage of the Philippine Depa
Contact us:
Name

Your Email

Title/Subject

(Maximum characters: 50)
You have characters left.

Your Message

(Maximum characters: 300)
You have characters left.