Press Releases
150 poor but deserving CapaseƱo-students receive P538-T SPES checks

 

CAPAS, TARLAC – Some 150 marginalized students from Capas town in Tarlac province, yesterday, concluded their tour of duty under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES).
 
The SPES is a flagship program of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) that enables poor but deserving students pursue their education while experiencing the real world of work.
 
The local government of Capas, through its Public Employment Service Office (PESO), and the DOLE Tarlac Field Office facilitated the distribution of SPES checks.
 
DOLE Regional Director Zenaida Angara-Campita reported to Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III that the beneficiaries received their SPES checks amounting to a total of P538,983.00.
 
“This amount represented the DOLE’s 40 percent share for the payment of salaries for its beneficiaries where each of them received P3,593.22 for their 22-day SPES stint. The remaining 60 percent of their salaries, on the other hand, was shouldered by the local government of Capas--our SPES program partner,” RD Campita explained.
 
DOLE Tarlac Field Office head Aurita Laxamana said that the beneficiaries, mostly college students, were deployed in the town’s barangays as enumerators for 22 days.
 
“Our SPES beneficiaries were tasked to profile household information needed by the local government’s Community-Based Management System (CBMS), a system vital for their planning and formulation of interventions intended for its constituents,” Laxamana explained.
Through the SPES, not only did the beneficiaries save up for their tuition fees and other school needs but also had the opportunity to be immersed in real work.
 
The SPES program was a great learning experience and was very helpful in providing the much needed intervention for the beneficiaries’ educational needs, says Ryan Macalino.
 
“Ako po ay nagpapasalamat at napabilang po ako sa SPES dahil marami po akong natutunan bilang enumerator at nagkaroon ng karanasan sa pakikipagsalamuha sa iba’t ibang klase ng tao. Napakalaking tulong po ang SPES sa amin upang mapagpatuloy pa po namin ang aming pag-aaral,” Macalino said, adding:
 
“Sa wakas, nakabili narin po ako ng medyo may kamahalang textbook na kailangang kailangan ko po sa aking pag-aaral. Sana, marami pa pong matulungan ang SPES, lalung-lalo na po sa mga mahihirap sa buhay.”
 
Macalino, a graduating BS Chemical Engineering student of St. Louis University, hopes to become a certified engineer someday and provide for his family’s needs.
 
Capas Mayor Reynaldo Catacutan, PESO Manager Merly Bumagat, Labor and Employment Officer Desire Julian, and other local officials were present during the SPES check distribution.
 
END/Jerry Borja/Desire Julian
[Back]
[Print]
2018-10-19
ZEN ANGARA-CAMPITA
Welcome to the Official Homepage of the Philippine Depa
Contact us:
Name

Your Email

Title/Subject

(Maximum characters: 50)
You have characters left.

Your Message

(Maximum characters: 300)
You have characters left.