Press Releases
162 sugar mill workers in Tarlac get subsidy

Distribution of cash aid - DOLE Tarlac through Mr. Jumel Vitao, Labor and Employment Officer III, facilitated the payment of Php 1,000.00 financial assistance to 162 mill workers of Central Azucarera de Tarlac under the Social Amelioration Program (SAP) for the workers in the Sugar Industry.

 

 

Tarlac City, TARLAC, July 2, 2020 -  The Department of Labor and Employment Regional Office No. III distributed P1,000 subsidy to 162 workers of Central Azucarera de Tarlac (CAT), the only operational milling company left in Central Luzon.

 

Under the Social Amelioration Program (SAP) for workers in the sugar industry, mill workers are entitled to a share of their fruits of production. This is through the collection of a lien, of which 80% of the total is distributed as cash bonus while the remaining 20% is allotted for the implementation of socio-economic programs and projects.

 

Ariel Gaden is an employee of CAT for 32 years and is now assigned in raw sugar production. In an interview, he expressed his gratitude to the Department that he was able to use the cash aid to buy grocery supplies such as rice, sardines, noodles, and coffee. “Lubos po akong nagpapasalamat sa DOLE at kahit papaano ay nakaraos kami,” Gaden mentioned.

According to Regional Director Ma. Zenaida Angara-Campita, P811,000 is the total budget for SAP for sugar workers in Central Luzon. However, only P162,000 is to be directly administered and distributed to sugar mill workers while the remaining amount will be provided to the members of Sugar Planters Association.

 

The financial assistance for sugar industry workers is part of Republic Act No. 11469 or the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act.


END/ A. Cunanan

[Back]
[Print]
2020-07-02
ZEN ANGARA-CAMPITA
Welcome to the Official Homepage of the Philippi
Contact us:
Name

Your Email

Title/Subject

(Maximum characters: 50)
You have characters left.

Your Message

(Maximum characters: 300)
You have characters left.